Reply To: “No one can make you feel anything without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

• Caroline

16 February 2022 at 23:45 pm

I was initially diagnosed with ‘Brief Psychotic Disorder’ in 2009, however, after three hospitalisations by 2012, I guess it became clear to the Psychiatrists that I may have something more.

My psychotic experiences are always brief, lasting just a few days, and usually being hospitalised for two weeks to one month, if it’s longer, it’s usually because they are sorting things out for my release, e.g. making sure I’m monitored in the community upon my release.

I found out about my diagnosis by accident actually. I saw it written on the Psychiatrists screen and I said, “I’ve been diagnosed with Schizophrenia?” She replied yes. My sense of self was high around that time. I had just been released from the hospital and was still on a ‘high’ so to me, it didn’t bother me at all. I didn’t feel worthless, or less than. I felt no feelings towards the diagnosis whatsoever. Even after a few months, I was fine with it. I told my friends and family with no issues,

“Oh you know I’ve been diagnosed with schizophrenia?” I told them.

I didn’t care what they’d think. You may say this was because they were friends and family, but actually, I even told strangers that I came into contact with, even people I had just met on dating websites. I know that sounds odd. We’d talk and I’d let them know.

I must say I’m happy that I know that my diagnosis doesn’t define me. I’d love to hear stories from others where this is not the case. Let me know.